About Client and Their Business Requirements
- One of Katalyst’s clients – an engineering company and a key player in precision machining, equipment integration and automation solutions, primarily for the aerospace and equipment industries – needed to upgrade their Apps database to 11g within short notice.
- Requirement of Apps upgrade to 11i (18.104.22.168).
- Application Code level upgrade.
- Improve sales by reaching out to maximum tutors and students
Why Katalyst – Value Proposition
- Certified and highly experienced team of implementation & support professionals.
- Real time experience in troubleshooting issues and supporting production environments.
- Experience working with application vendors and integrating best practices into the database.
- Completed the upgrade with zero defects in less than expected time.
Oracle 11g database (22.214.171.124.0), Oracle E-Business suite 126.96.36.199, Linux x86 OS.
- Performed 2 successful iterations before going to PROD and noted all the expected issues before going to PROD.
- Rigorous testing of the upgraded non-prod environments by Katalyst Functional and Technical teams to identify any issues after the upgrade.
- Work with Oracle support on the identified issues in the upgraded environments.
- Provided the SA support for Unix servers at OS level by installing the required rpms last minute troubleshooting.
- PROD database upgrade in minimal downtime and zero issues.
- Apply the required apps patches (Interoperability patches) before the database upgrade.
- Install the new 11g software.
- Upgrade the database to 11g.
- Implement the apps integration of the database.
- Application Code level upgrade of products from one level to another.
- Performed particular post steps to improve the database performance – Suggested by Oracle.
- Few requests failed in error – Worked with Oracle for a solution and implemented the steps for resolution.
- Patching performance too poor – Made the changes to few template files which improve the performance.
Benefits & Key Features
Benefits & Key Features
- Improved performance and new features with the upgraded version of the database
- Many 10g bugs fixed in the 11g in turn many functional issues resolved
- Easy management
- New features and functionalities.
- New architectural changes make it easier for the administration.
- System performance improvement even in the peak load hours.
- Inbuilt automated jobs for performance improvements.
- Advanced diagnosis techniques for issue troubleshooting.
- Now the database backup is being done through RMAN in place of the disk level backups.
- Cloning now made easier with RMAN automation which we use for the daily automated clone of PROD for high end reports usage.
- Health check of the Database.
- Coordination with function and technical teams
- Viewing the alert log file to analyze the ORA errors if any.
- Tablespace utilization.
- Rebuilding of Indexes, if a bulk load of data is inserted.
- Monitoring the temporary files, through the DBA_TEMP_FILES.
- Database Growth comparison.
- User Management.
- Backing up the archive log files.
- Monitoring Backups.
- Monitoring the log files, backups, database space usage and the use of system resources.
- Exports/Imports by using datapump.
- Monitoring Tablespace Segments
- Monitoring Production Database Performance
- Solving the ORA errors.
- Taking a COLD/RMAN backups at night time.
- Monitoring Concurrent Requests.
- Deleting old log files for every 15 days.
- Clear the trace files in the udump and bdump directory as per the policy.
- Check for the invalid objects
- Identify bad growth projections
- Crosschecking FTP of RMAN backup
- Weekend Maintenance for Production
- Check the database statistics collection
- Verifying the schedule jobs and clear the output directory
- Verifying the security policy violation
- Cloning test instances
Monthly or Quarterly Checks
- Verifying the accuracy of backups by creating test databases.
- Checking for the critical patch updates from Oracle Support Site